Monday, August 11, 2014

Dog Day AFternoon

Hello one and all! This is The Daily Bone and I’m your delighted doggie host 
Chester L. W. Spaniel.


Mom finally got a day off! Instead of going out somewhere, we spent it exploring the back yard! The weather was fine and hot, but not humid at all; and there was a nice breeze. My weather-minded colleague Joseph (Joey dog) Spaniel and I declared it a perfect day!


As I always say, you can find something new every day if you just look close enough, and today was no exception. 


After doing our routine security rounds and daily doggie business, I caught a scent in the wood pile. I started a dig. Wow, look at this nice, soft, black soil that was created out of all the branches we put through the chipper machine earlier this summer! It was great to dig!


Dad decided to tidy up the pile a bit, and scared a shrew out of there and right into my waiting jaws! I gave it a shake, but it got away. I continued to dig and bark, but I couldn’t get the shrew to come out and play again.


Meanwhile, during all the commotion, Joey dog helped himself to a big stalk of moldy broccoli from the compost bucket. 


There was still one other thing in the wood pile. Look at this beautiful woolly bear caterpillar! 


To go with our safety week theme, we wanted to show you a picture of something neither you doggies, nor your humans should never eat. Deadly nightshade is a relative of tomatoes and potatoes. It grows wild in shady areas, like the back corner of our yard. It looks like a vine with pretty purple flowers and berries that look very much like little tiny delicious tomatoes. 


Getting back to our adventure, after digging for quite a while, I became very dirty. So Mom got out my little wading pool. Wow! What more great stuff could possibly happen? 


Mom wanted to share some photos she took of the bugs in the giant hydrangea bush. I guess we have time for that too! 




Nap time now. 


6 comments:

  1. OMD OMD you CAUGHT a SHREW????? WOW are we EVER Proud of YOU!!!
    WHAT???????????????????? You have a Wooly Bear... ALREADY??? We don't see them until well into September.
    That Deadly Nightshade stuff is NOTHING to fool with... FORTUNATELY it smells BAD... when our mom sees it growing she DIGS it out and puts it in a BAG in the TRASH... THAT does not go into our compost... GOOD to Warn folks about it. THANKS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice about the nightshade. Dig it up and throw it in the garbage. We were surprised to see a woolly bear so early too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry bout yur shrew gettin away.

    Hmm, I think Mommy pulled up sum of that nightshade junk too, right behind our poop bucket it wuz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya let da shrew get away? Ya gotta shake better dan dat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shrews have a venomous bite so you have to be careful with them. They are actually good to have around, though because they eat slugs and snails, all kinds of bugs, and even mice and small snakes! They squeak loudly when they get cornered or caught, and are real tough fighters. Oh, but they're a lot of fun to hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pawsome dude you nearly got that shrew. I deaded a mouse last week. It ended up in the bin, big sigh. It has been so dry they are trying to find water. Not on my patch I say. Have a terrific Tuesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete