Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Chive Talking

Hello ladies and gentlemen, doggies and kitties. This is The Daily Bone and I’m your diligent doggie reporter Chester L. W. Spaniel along with my trusty associate Joseph (Joey dog) Spaniel.


As you know, we are devoted to keeping miscreant invaders out of our yard. Today I smelled a mousie in the chives. Although this was a brilliant attempt to hide its tracks in the pungent smell of the chives, my excellent olfactory ability enables me to detect even the slightest molecules of scent left by the Miscellaneous Mousie Mob operatives, as well as other small combatants such as members of the Conniving Chipmunk Consortium, or those annoying Toadstools-R-Us sales reps. (How many times have we told them? No soliciting!)




I barked and barked until my ghostwriter moved a few rocks for me. Other than spotting the fattest earthworm I've ever seen, no mousies could be found. Perhaps it’s already left the premises. Maybe it went behind the air conditioner unit. Persistence, that’s the word! I’ll follow this scent to the ends of the Earth if I have to … 




Ahem. Joey dog here. While Chester goofs around in the chives, I’d like to direct your attention to some strange pods that have been occupying a spot on the pavers right outside the back door. I’m not sure why they’re here instead of in the front yard where they belong.


I also found this leaf. It kind of looks like an autumn leaf, doesn’t it? 


You might have also noticed, around here at least, that the sky is changing. Being more than twelve years old, I’ve been able to discern patterns of the summer weather from one year to the next. It seems that after weeks of hot, humid, stormy weather in July and early August, it suddenly turns cooler and dryer. We have more of those high wispy clouds now. I suspect that this is what it will be like for the next few weeks.


The sunsets have been absolutely spectacular too. 


And now, back to Chester …


Thanks Joey dog. As you can see, I’m still tracking that mousie. But for some reason I can’t smell anything except chives!

Harumph! 

8 comments:

  1. Those mice must be smarter than we give them credit fur, cause here they dive into a chive (patch) too. And I have chased garden snakes into the same patch, too...shucks.

    Woofs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiding in the chives I ask you? Keep up the good work and it only is a matter of time. Have a tremendous Thursday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haf never seen a mouse so I is hoping you catches it so I can see what I should be chasing
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chive Talkin! Bol! Furry clever there!

    I bet yu smelled like chives too. Maybe yur nose went all wonky an couldn't find that stinkin mousie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I furgot to vote fur milkweed pods. We gots sum my skin bro an sis used to make Christmas ormanents - long time ago.

      Delete
  5. Are those pods... Milkweed or Butterfly Bush? Have you seen any milkweed caterpillars? Those are the ones that make MONARCH Butterflies.
    DARN we are sorry that you didn't find any of those illusive mice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're milkweed pods. The plant got knocked over in a storm but we saved the pods. We're hoping to get some Monarch butterfly caterpillars on the remaining plants. None yet, though.

      Delete