Sunday, June 8, 2014

The First Birdie of Summer

Hello everyone this is The Daily Bone and I’m your excellent bird doggie host Chester L. W. Spaniel.

Today I caught my first baby bird of the season. Dad quickly took the bird from my mouth just as I was getting ready to show Mom and say, “look at the birdie I caught for you!” It then escaped through the fence where it kept very still for a long time. My colleague Joseph (Joey dog) Spaniel and I barked and barked.


Bark bark bark woof bark woof woof woof bark bark bark woof bark bark woof woof woof bark bark bark bark bark woof woof woof woof bark bark woof  woof barkbarkbarkbark woof woof woofbark yip yip yip bark bark bark woof woof woof yip yap bark bark barkbarkbarkbark woof woof woof bark bark yip bark woof woof woof woof woof bark bark bark woof woof woof bark bark bark woof woof bark bark bark bark bark bark woof bark bark bark woof yip bark …

Mom thought the bird must be dead since it wasn't flying away from our fierce display. So she went and picked it up to move it away where we couldn’t  see it anymore. To her surprise it wasn’t dead.  In fact, it was quite alive and very noisy! 

Squawk squawk squawk squawk squawk squawk squawk! 

She identified it as little Squatty Dingledoody, a grackle from the bush next door. She let it go in the front yard. Well that’s what cocker spaniels are supposed to do: catch birds. One year I caught eight birds! Wow! The next year I caught five, and last year I caught three. I’m a very good bird doggie! 

I had another sniff at the log pile. It smelled like chipmunks, but  no one was home. I had just gone inside for a nice nap after all the excitement when … 


…  Ryan, our favorite miniature human came by to visit. Hooray! He knows how to throw a squeaky toy now! We got out every single squeaky ball I owned and had a great time throwing and chasing them. He also sampled some yum yum delicious healthy weight management crunchy meatball doggie food when nobody was looking. I don’t think he liked it. He made a face, but the didn’t spit it out! Hey, there’s nothing wrong with that! We eat it all the time! Oh, and he also figured out that if he throws his food on the floor, we doggies will eat it. Yup, that’s how it works!  


It was raining out so we couldn't play in the yard. But the birdies at the window feeder provided some great entertainment. Then he went home. 


Snoorrrrrrrrrrrrrrk! 

8 comments:

  1. Crikey ... that Ryan bloke sure is cute and he throws balls AND food. Doesn't get much better than that, aye?? I love having those little people at my house too. They seem to only ever eat half of the stuff they are given and the rest ends up on the floor ... and you know where from there! YUM!!
    That was VERY good of you to catch the birdie and take him to show your Momma without hurting him. Is that what they call a soft mouth? I think that's what you cockers are supposed to have, aye?? Not me ..... I just munch up anything I catch. Mum says ...... bad Charlie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little Squatty Dingledoody was lucky Dad was right there. Otherwise I would have taken several victory laps around the yard with it!

      Delete
  2. Peeps that drop da food is da best peeps. ;)
    I probably woulda given da burd da shakey shakey treatment, but I's never caught one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Dad hadn't taken the birdie out of my mouth I would have done the shaky shaky until the squeaker stopped squeaking. When I was a puppy once, I tried to swallow a live baby grackle head first. Joey dog tells me stories about Old Miss Charisma who could jump up and catch birds right out of the air! I wish I had met Charisma before she went to doggie heaven.

      Delete
  3. Wow that is some score on the birdy front. I chase crows when there is no other vermin to chase and have't managed to actually catch one yet, big sigh. Glad you had a great weekend. Have a marvellous Monday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a few crows around here. They are usually quite secretive and never come very close. There's never a shortage of baby grackles and robins this time of year, though. They're everywhere!

      Delete
  4. OMD CONGRATULATIONS on the FINE Bird Catchin. Sorry that your treasure was... taken from you though. Your peeps must have though you committed a FOWL PLay or Somethingy like that.
    OMD that little peep is a superb ball player. He would be GRRREAT at a PAWTY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They feel sorry for the birdies we catch. But they know that, as bird dogs, we cocker spaniels will always catch a few every year. Oh, and we doggies love when the little guy visits!

      Delete