Saturday, December 31, 2022

Years End

Greetings friends and fans. This is The Daily Bone and I'm your guest reporter Chester L. W. Spaniel's ghostwriter. I want to say a heartfelt thanks to all of you who have left comforting comments on our last post about our ace reporter Chester crossing the Rainbow Bridge a couple weeks ago. I'm hoping I can write now without crying. (I'm having a really hard time with this loss.) 

It's strange not having a dog in the house. I keep looking at all the spots where Chester used to spend his time, and now he's not there. 















The Evil Squirrel Cartel is taking advantage of Chester's absence.

Hey, where's dogface? He still owes me 50,000 peanut butter sandwiches! 

Just for that, I'm putting red hot pepper on all the seeds and suet cakes in that feeder. Haha!

Moving on, in keeping Chester's tradition, I went out into the yard and I tried looking up, and looking down to find some amazing things. 


Unlike our neighbors in Buffalo NY to the west of us, we only got a thin coating of snow. The snow plow was hardly needed on our street.


Since then, we've seen some spectacular, and ever changing skies.












Today we had some warmer weather, and what was left of our snow melted.






Some of you might be wondering what will happen to The Daily Bone in the future. I hope to keep it going. After all, there are always amazing things to find right in my own yard just by looking up, and looking down. I also hope to get back to writing some more stories and finding out how I might get some novels published. 

I am still working at the nursing home, but only one day a week. I think I can handle that. It'll be nice to see my team and patients once a week. Besides, I don't think old "battle axe" nurses like me ever completely retire. 

By spring I'm thinking of maybe taking "applications" for the job of reporter here at The Daily Bone. I hope angel Chester helps me find just the right pup for the job! 

I wish everyone a Happy New Year! 








Thanks again for all the lovely tributes, and comforting words from our dear blog friends.

in-loving-memorychester

chester-by-foley-monster

chester-ace-reporter














You had a good life. Sleep well, Little Guy


12 comments:

  1. Dearest Ghostwriter, we are so glad that you will continue. Our Peep remembers when Queen Nellie Bellie graduated to Angel. She knew a new cat was in her future, but she needed some time and she did keep posting.
    Embrace the new year with an open heart and a fierce spirit. A new year brings new possibilities. May the new year bring you nothing but the best in love, joy and happiness! We send you warm wishes for 2o23! Keep being awesome! Purrs Marvelous Marv and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. We understand your immense feeling of loss. Chester filled your lives with so much love. We too are glad to hear that you will continue the blog - we are trying to get back in the swing of things too. And when the time is right, we know that the right pup will find you with some help from all your special Angels.

    Happy New Year!!!
    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely post and we all look forward to seeing your applications in the New Year. We lost our beloved 12 year old Maremma Nellie on 22nd December. Her time had come to pass and we miss her. One day another maremma will come into our lives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh now I remember! The best Maremma in the whole world. Well, it might be the exact words, but I know your Nelly was the greatest, best, and most bestest Maremma in your blog. I hope you are blessed with another best most wonderful Maremma again some time, and keep us posted. Thank you so much for following TDB for so long and all your kind comments.

      Delete
  4. How lovely to hear from you. Anyone who has lost a dog will relate to your experience of looking around particular spots in the house and feeling the absence.
    Nobby and I are relieved to learn that your area did not suffer the worst of the recent dreadful storm. We look forward to reading more posts from you and, when the time is right, hearing about applications to be the successor to Chester. Big paws to fill!
    Happy New Year!
    Gail and Nobby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We send you huge hugs for your overwhelming loss♥ We are sure that Chester will have a hand in sending you the sweetest and most loving puppy ever. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're happy to hear you will continue using Chester's blog to report on what is going on around your house. Chester will surely help you find your next ace reporter. We wish you a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly what you mean about empty spots. I really and truly, just said the same thing to Bryan about the edge of our rug by the back door. It gets tons of sun this time of year. Angel Madi was a heat seeking Diva. She love it there. Angel Chester was a most handsome Ace Reporter and leader of the Squirrel Busters. I 100% agree he will be in charge of the application process for new junior reporters.
    It surely would be nice if all the bitter cold and snow was over but I fear Mother nature is playing a joke on us. We have 63 today. Crazy Last weekend: Saturday night it was 11 felt like -4, Sunday morning it was so very cold in the house too Now we have spring.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Things just don't seem right without Chester but I know he'll be busy interviewing and training pups for the reporter job. Wishing you guys a very Happy New Year! Hugs.. ♥♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, that empty spot thing can bring tears even as yet to petcretary too, and there was Dalton still in the house at that time. He had a hard time too, he would look into our living room, (No dogs allowed in there without supervision...), and he'd see my almost life sized toy JRT and he'd whine and seemed to think it was his pal...he went nuts when I brought it out to show him it was not who he thought it was, but I forgot 'it' was wearing MJF's collar...another flood of tears from me...

    Hugs to you...and we know the right 'applicant' will be carefully sought out by Angel Chester and shown to you.

    I work 2 days a week now, more than enough, esp when they are back to back on a weekend. But like you said, I enjoy gong back to see what the residents (and other staff) are up to.
    We sure had more storm issues than you did! Yesterday the temp was in the mid fifties, but today was a little cooler. We hope it goes back to winter temps soon, else the trees and other plants are going to be very confused! All our huge piles of snow are gone, too!

    Dalton could come and deal with your squirrels! Benji only chases them if Dalton starts the activity, BOL!

    This seems rather trite at this time for you...but Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, you may not be crying, but I am. I am so sorry. I feel like I've lost one of my own dogs. Your sweet and fun posts and photos of Chester always lifted my spirits. You shared Chester with all of us, and I know that many like me are sharing his loss too. Thank-you for giving bloggers like me the chance to get to know him, and love him. I hope you are finding comfort in your memories of Chester that can never be taken away, and in knowing that your sweet boy is not that far away, and you will see him again one day. ❤❤

    ReplyDelete