Tuesday, June 21, 2022

It's Summer!

 Hello everyone. This is The Daily Bone and I'm your doggie reporter Chester L. W. Spaniel.

I'm reporting from inside the house because it's really hot outside today. With the wind blowing the 90º heat around, it feels like I'm standing in front of a hair dryer! No thank you! 

First I want to say, yes we're still here! My ghostwriter has been very busy with her job, and with the gardening and so hasn't had a lot of time on her computer. But there are a lot of things we have to show you from the past week or so. I'll start with the critters. 

Here's the big, brave bunny who has been visiting the yard in broad daylight to eat seeds that the birdies drop from the feeders. I wonder if he's also been after the good stuff in the compost pile, and the pears growing on the pear tree. 


Then there are squirrels and a little striped chipmunk too!


I especially hate chipmunks because they always get me in trouble. Instead of running straight up the nearest tree, like the squirrels do, chipmunks go sneaking through the plants and bushes in the garden. I try to follow their stinky footprints and end up stomping on ghostwriter's flowers. Yesterday, I chased one up the drainpipe! I barked and barked at it, but it wouldn't come out! It just stayed in there chirping and scuttling in the pipe with his scratchy little feet! I had to be dragged away from it or else I would have barked all day long and flattened all of the flowers around it! Harumph! At the end of this post, there are a couple links to some of my chipmunk problems stories

Besides the furry visitors, there have been all kinds of birdies, including this colorful blue jay.

The irises are all finished blooming. Here are the very last ones:



Now it's time for daisies, milkweed, roses, clemetis, and even foxglove.







On the 15th, we watched a big storm come rolling through WNY. Although we didn't get any rain, some areas to the south and west of us got blasted with high winds, heavy rain, and even a tornado watch. We did, however, get an amazing sunset as we watched the storm clouds pass us. 





After dark, we saw some lightning flash purple through the clouds to the south.




Nope. I'm not scared of thunder and lightning, and storms in general. Are you? 

We hope you have a great first day of summer! 

Oh, and my ghostwriter has been saying something about retiring this summer. I'm not sure what that means, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with putting new tires on the cars. Do any of you know? 




i-found-stinky-chipmunk

the-chip-and-bun-bun-show

chipmunk-up-drain-pipe

11 comments:

  1. Your flowers are just beautiful and so is the sunset! Retirement means that ghostwriter will be home with you all the time, Chester, and we are so happy for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those chip monkeys are such pests! We have lots of them around us too. They always scoot down one of their holes and also go up the drain here. Your garden looks great! You will be so happy when your Ghostwriter retires because that means she will be home all the time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chester OMDs thank you for the walkabout in your beautiful technicolor yard on the first day of summer.
    Golly gee it is hot in WNY...I hope you have central air. I personally don't mind thunder but it is always accompanied by lightning and I don't like that. Hugs to you GW and your photographer
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just realized I did no pass on my thoughts about GW's retirement. I SAY DO IT lickety split and don't look back
      Hugs cecilia

      Delete
  4. We think you'll enjoy the whole re-tiring thing, lots more Mama Ghostwriter time ahead!!

    Beautiful flowers and clouds....let me know if you need me to come up and help you chase those bunnies, squirrels and chippies!!
    xoxo,
    Rosy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful glimpses of nature in your yard all around, Chester!!! Love the beautiful blue in that blue jay. We think the Ghostwriter has more than earned that retirement time.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  6. We hear pawppy talking about the Re-Tire-ing thing too...he doesn't want to deal with early mornings in the winter anymore when the snow needs clearing out first.

    You do have a lot of interesting things you reported on...and we had the way too hots here, too! Gorgeous flowers and such pretty skies...yes even the storm clouds can be amazing to watch, made the more awesome when the sun sets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. RABBIT!!! SQUIRREL!!! CHIPMUNK!!! Can I come to YOUR Yard???? I am a fierce hunter, and I have hunted and caught all of these over my career! Chipmunks are too small to bother with, but rabbits and squirrels make tasty eating too! I promise to share! And I promise not to pee on the flowers!

    Also, that sky is very pretty.

    Also, I think retiring means your ghostwriter will be able to help you blog more often! Hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You hab a furry exciting home! And sky! Dat furst photo looks like a man wif a beard and de wind blowing from hims back. BOL!!
    My mommy is re-tired, but I dunno what dat means. It happen4d befure I libbed here. 🤷🏼‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a great update! Retiring is awesome, C. Mom is retired, and she stays with me almost every day and takes me with her A LOT!

    I am not afraid of thunder and lightning, at all. Never was. Ditto for fireworks on 4th of July.

    Love and licks,
    Cupcake

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi friend, Ojo here! It is HOT here today too! Did you send the heat? Can you take it back?

    ReplyDelete