Sunday, June 25, 2017

I Found The Stinky Chipmunk!

This is a special TDB report for doggies, and possibly kitty cats, but that humans might not like too much. I'm your investigative doggie reporter Chester L. W. Spaniel. 


For the past few days I have been sniffing and pawing at a certain spot in the garage wall right next to the back door. I even tried to chew out the plaster wall board in that spot for which Dad got quite angry at me. My humans refused to believe me that there was anything there.


But I proved them wrong! Last night they could finally smell it too! It was that unmistakable odor of decaying flesh. Dad pried up the wall board and the stench got worse. So he removed a big section of it. Guess what was in there?


Take a closer look:


That's right, doggies! It was a very stinky chipmunk that had somehow gotten itself stuck behind the wallboard and died. We doggies have an amazing sense of smell, and the humans should trust us when we think there is something stuck in the wall! Hah! 


That reminds me of what happened a few years ago. My esteemed, late colleague Joseph (Joey dog) Spaniel was still working with me at the time. One hot summer day, quite like today, we started scratching at the door of our human's bedroom. Upon being let in, we both headed directly to the walk-in closet and stood straight up on our hind legs, our noses pointed to the little trap door in the ceiling that opens to the attic. Our humans thought we were crazy and dismissed us. A few days later, they smelled it too! Turns out there was a starling nest in the soffit near that part of the attic. Dad went up to the roof and pulled out tons of grass, weeds, sticks, leaves, and trash the starlings had stuffed in there. It was enough to fill a 40 gallon trash bag! Among the mess was a dead baby starling that was stinking up the whole house! 


Anyway, I am the best good doggie hero today! I'm smart and persistent, and I found the stinky, rotten, no good, malodorous, pungent, crummy, dastardly, smelly chipmunk! Did I say it was very stinky? I was ready to eat it too, but ghostwriter said not to push my luck! Yup, I can say it was MY BEST DAY in a long time!




(I just love those Trout Fishing in America guys! If you never heard of them, check them out on youtube. They have lots of great music for kids! We've been fans since 1991!) 


Here's one last look at the stinky chipmunk, for all you doggies out there, before Dad threw it unceremoniously into the garbage can.  



Hmmm. That sounds good.

20 comments:

  1. Wow, what excellent work you did! Your pawrents should never doubt your nose!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find Chester!!! Too bad they didn't let you dry it out, we bet chipmunk jerky is delicious!!
    xoxo
    Arty & Jakey

    ReplyDelete
  3. We really think your peeps should learn to follow your nose. Too bad they didn't let you have the chipmunk. We were denied a bird we found on the road today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you. You just KNEW there was something deaded behind that wall.

    Abby Lab

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are definitely the hero of the weekend!!! I hope you got lots of treats. And btw, it's a good thing you didn't get to chew down on the dead chipper 'cuz that would have given you chipper breath which would definitely cut down on your cuddles and treats. So, I say double treats: treats for finding the smelly chipper and treats for avoiding dead chipmunk breath!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! We dogs do know where ALL the critters are....dead or alive!!

    ♥♥ Wyatt and Tegan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job Chester! We agree that our pawrents don't give us doggies enough credit sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done, C. You (and the late, great Joey) are awesome finders. Once there was a fly in my house, and I watched it fly. Mom said I am a big help. I don't think she meant it sincerely.

    Love and licks,
    Cupcake

    ReplyDelete
  9. A job well done, Chester and one less chipper to irritate you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job Chester! That thing must have gotten training from the tree rat
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good job Chester! Imagine how much it would have smelled if you had not been around? Although I do feel a bit sorry for the poor chipmunk...

    Mara from Norway

    PS: how's Oma doing?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Chester!!! You found the chippie!! Good for you!! Hey...where do you live in Rochester? I think you had a question for me about Canandaigua and/or irises? Thanks so much! You can reach me at jeanne.pursell AT gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good boy, Chester!! And thanks fur the warning. I won't let mommy see this entry! BOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eeeewwwwww...good job Chester. We think that it was a wise move not to eat the dead chipmunk.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good work, Chester!

    We don't have any dead chippies here, but we do have way too many live ones.They stuff their cheeks to overloaded with bird seed that they steal.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Chester well done indeed. Your nose needs a raise for sure. Joey taught you some very good skills
    OMCs guess what Mom saw way out west....her first Prairie Dog in fact lots of them.
    When the peeps were riding the steam engine from Durango to Silverton they past a field. The tour guide on the train told them to look to the right. Evidently there was a ginormous family of little prairies living there and when the train goes by it rocks their world. They all popped up so see us. They were pretty cute.
    Hugs madi your bfff

    ReplyDelete
  17. Squirrels are one of our main problems, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMD! You are the NOSE CHAMPION for smelly varmints! Pierre never understands why we don't take his dead moles and squirrels to the taxidermist for proper mounting. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those silly humans! Why don't they listen to us??

    ReplyDelete