Thursday, January 8, 2015

Sundogs and Coneflower Popsicles

Hello. This is The Daily Bone and I’m your hardy doggie reporter Joseph (Joey dog) Spaniel.


We had another cold and busy day today. Please forgive me for squinting in the bright sun. My ghostwriter saw an amazing sight this morning: a phenomena called sundogs. These are bright rainbow-like points on either side of the sun are caused by ice crystals in the air.


Despite the cold wind, my imperious colleague Chester L. W. Spaniel and I did our patrol work around the territory. In fact, we made several forays. As The Double Doggie Homeland Security System, we never let inclement weather disrupt our missions.

We found a flock of little birdies hiding in this bush. 

Chester crawled under it to sniff for mousies. 

Can you see him? 

Here he is! 

All clear!

The coneflower seed heads were all frosted on one side.

Chester thought this was very interesting. 

So he decided to taste them. Chomp!

What a silly boy! 

Everyone knows this is what lunch looks like. Yum. 

After lunch, a squirrel made a brief appearance. 

He quickly retreated when Chester barked from the drive-through window. 

Checking the wood pile and hawthorn tree.

Pear tree.

Chester likes to run!

And run!

As senior officer, I prefer to trot.

Time for payment for our policing services. That'll be two yum yum treats …

… and a good nap! 


13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yeah, when Mom has a day off, we have to work harder!

      Delete
  2. Hi hi hi! Ojo here! You have SNOW! AND SUN DOGS! I would like to come play with you! (And that lunch looked pretty pawesome too!) (And the couch nap. I would like all of the above. Thank you.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you visit us, make sure you have your heavy winter coat on! The sun and snow were great, but the wind was freezing!

      Delete
  3. Oh, we love to sniff (an listen) fur the mousies that are tunnelin unner the snow! They leave their tunnels when the snow melts.
    Yu guys are busy out there. Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crikey ...... you blokes are right on it, aye?? Nothing gets past you two.. Mum says to tell you she likes the long hair look. She reckons you look like two cuddly teddy bears. REALLY Mum!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work guys!!!! I wish I had some snow to run in! Ma says she's glad we don't cause she can't imagine clearing the drive and walk...what? I care abouts that?! Really. Anyhu, do some zoomies, and tree rat and mouse chasin' for me..the pickin's have been slim here! I've had to resort to chasin' burdies...they are uncatchable I tell ya!
    Oh, and if you could send some of those sandwiches and foodables my way...
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pics! Action all ovfur the place...and straight into the lunch table, BOL!

    We didn't see any sundogs, cause the sun was hiding here...and we are in blizzard conditions of white out now...UGH!! Growlmy took about 40 minutes to drive 8 miles home from her work...YUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Chester, I so wish I could be there to do some running in that snow wiv you!
    Hope you got loads of treats for all your hard work, that squirrel looked particularly vicious to me but you were sooo brave seeing him off!
    I thought sundogs was when I sit in a sun puddle but I'll be watching for them in the sky from now on.....er, will they come out at night when I'm staring at the moon?
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You boys are great patrol officers! You did one great job despite the freezing cold temps!

    Love ya lots♥
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch - don't those prickly things hurt to eat?

    Monty and Harlow

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a very busy day despite the cold temperatures. We have been seeing lots of sundogs up where I am. Sure hope it warms up for everyone soon!

    ReplyDelete