Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Doggie Aerobics

This is The Daily Bone and I’m your humble doggie host Chester L. W. Spaniel.

OK, I think we’re taking this exercise thing a bit too far. I was sent this video (link below) of a doggie doing aerobics. What an amazingly talented and energetic little doggie! Hooray for you! However, I doubt walking on my front legs with my hind end up in the air will do much for my image, let alone my figure. And the only leg lifts you’ll see me doing will be next to the closest tree, bush, or fire hydrant!


I discussed this at length with my colleague Joseph (Joey dog) Spaniel. We decided we would much rather get our exercise by running around the yard doing our daily homeland security reconnaissance missions, which, I must say, have been quite successful at keeping the Evil Squirrel Cartel away. We haven’t seen any squirrels near our territory in over a week!

Operatives of the Bunny Militia have been spotted in the neighborhood lately, though. There’s a real big one that hops out into the green belt in the middle of the day as if daring some predator to try to catch him. Well, one day he’ll make the mistake of sneaking into our yard and then we’ll have a proper high speed chase!


We’ve been watching a certain big crow, nicknamed the Godfather, that always shows up at noon every day and sits in the middle of the neighbor’s tree for an hour, as if waiting for a pay-off. The local grackles raise a big commotion about his presence. We’ve managed to keep this bully bird away from our yard, but the grackles seem to have no gratitude, and dive bomb us whenever we get too close to the bushes where they have their nests. Sheesh!


As you can see, the grass is greening up nicely, and the mud is starting to dry up. The sun is shining so brightly we have to squint. There are birds everywhere. Mobs of sparrows chatter in the bushes, flocks of brilliant gold finches flit between the feeders, and speckled starlings, and fat mourning doves waddle across the lawn. There are two or three robins hopping around in every single yard. Crazy Bird, the angry red cardinal sings all day long. People are constantly walking by on the sidewalk. It’s quite a work-out barking and running along the fence at all of them. So thanks, but no thanks to the doggie aerobics class. I think I’ll agree with Joey dog; there’s plenty of exercise to be had right outside our back door. Oh yeah, let’s not forget the capricious tennis balls I have to chase around indoors! I guess I'll have to make an effort to not eat as much for a while.





No comments:

Post a Comment